Trump scales back military drills with South Korea because of ‘good friend’ Kim

By Kang Jin-kyu, with Matthew Pennington in Washington AFP | Posted by TOE Donald Trump said he ordered the Pentagon to scale back “inappropriate and hostile” military drills with South Korea, hours before the exercises began on Monday. The US president cited his “good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in his latest rebuke to long-standing alliances with Western partners. South Korean officials said the exercises had begun as planned and that they hoped the personal chemistry between Trump and Kim would bring them back to talks. North Korea has not responded publicly, though it has previously voiced anger at the regular joint manoeuvres, which take place in the South. The drills began as American allies in East Asia fret over North Korean displays of weapons capabilities and its growing alignment with Russia as well as traditional backer China. “Based on my very good relationship with Kim Jong Un, of North Korea, I ...

Russian missiles hit Kyiv and other Ukrainian cities, three dead

Overnight strikes killed three people including a boy in Ukraine and two children in Russia, officials from both countries said on Thursday.

Moscow has fired hundreds of drones on its neighbour almost nightly since the beginning of the four-year war, with Kyiv regularly carrying out strikes within Russia in response to its attacks.

“As a result of the enemy attack on the capital, two people died – a 12-year-old boy and a 35-year-old woman,” Kyiv’s mayor Vitali Klitschko wrote on Telegram.

Another person was killed in Ukraine’s central city of Dnipro, Oleksandr Ganzha, head of the regional administration posted on Telegram.

Around 10 people were wounded in the attack, with a 40-year-old woman hospitalised in “serious condition”, Ganzha said earlier.

It was not immediately clear if the hospitalised woman was the person reported dead.

On the Russian side, two children were killed in the southern Krasnodar Krai region, its governor Veniamin Kondratyev said Thursday.

“A terrorist drone attack on residential buildings in Tuapse has claimed the lives of two minors aged five and 14,” he wrote on Telegram.

Russia’s overnight attack on Ukraine triggered a missile alert in the capital Kyiv, where the head of the capital’s military administration Tymur Tkachenko warned residents to shelter until the warning was lifted.

In Kyiv, rescuers pulled a child from the rubble of a residential building that collapsed in the Podilsky district, Klitschko said.

The attack on the capital wounded at least 10 people, including several medics, he said.

A blaze broke out at a building in the capital’s Obolonsky district where missile debris fell, and cars were on fire, he added.

A drone strike on Ukraine’s northeastern city of Kharkiv wounded a 77-year-old woman and a 66-year-old man, the head of the regional military administration Oleg Synegubov said on Telegram.

Five people were wounded in an attack in the southern port city of Odesa, the head of the city’s military administration Sergiy Lysak said on Telegram.

SOURCE: AFP AND AGENCIES



from The Times Of Earth https://ift.tt/03qFO4Q

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Myanmar earthquake death toll rises as fresh tremors further complicate rescue efforts

Israel says situation on Lebanon border ‘not sustainable’