North Korea opens new housing district for families of Ukraine war dead

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un touted a newly built street of flats for families of soldiers killed supporting Russia’s war against Ukraine, state media reported Monday, with photos showing him accompanied by his daughter. North Korea has deployed thousands of troops to fight for Russia, according to South Korean and Western intelligence agencies, and Seoul has estimated that around 2,000 have been killed. Analysts say North Korea is receiving financial aid, military technology and food and energy supplies from Russia in return. “The new street has been built thanks to the ardent desire of our motherland that wishes that… its excellent sons, who defended the most sacred things by sacrificing their most valuable things, will live forever,” Kim said in a speech released by the official Korean Central News Agency. The report on Monday did not mention Russia, but Kim last week pledged to “unconditionally support” all of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s policies and decisions. “Befo...

Cyclone Gezani kills dozens, displaces thousands in Madagascar

The death toll from Cyclone Gezani rose to 40 on Friday, three days after its passage across Madagascar, as officials struggled to restore widespread cuts to power and water supplies.

In its latest update Friday, the National Office for Risk and Disaster Management (BNRGC) said 40 people had been killed and 427 people injured, as one aid worker spoke of “apocalyptic” scenes on the Indian Ocean island.

Six people were still missing and the cyclone had affected 273,417 people — or 74,393 households, the BNRGC added.

After visiting the island’s second-largest city of Toamasina, which bore the brunt of Gezani’s 250-kilometre-per-hour (155-mile-per-hour) winds, the World Food Programme’s Madagascar director Tania Goosens told journalists that “the scale of destruction is overwhelming”.

“The authorities have reported that 80 percent of the city has been damaged,” she added.

“The city is running on roughly five percent of electricity and there is no water,” she said, adding that the WFP’s office and one warehouse “were also completely destroyed”.

AFP photos showed the scale of the destruction, with trees and sheets of metal scattered across the streets, hampering recovery efforts.

“A lot of zones are still inaccessible to rescue workers,” one aid worker told AFP. “Bridges are down, roads are destroyed. It’s really terrible.”

The situation was even worse beyond Toamasina, he added. “In the outlying towns, in rural areas, it’s apocalyptic.”

China has offered 100 million yuan (about $14.5 million) in aid, Madagascar’s presidency announced.

On Thursday, France said it was sending food and rescue teams from the French island of La Reunion after Madagascar’s new leader, Colonel Michael Randrianirina, called for “international solidarity”.

Fears that the full force of Cyclone Gezani would be unleashed on southern Mozambique — already hit by devastating floods this year — faded after meteorologists at the CMRS on the French island of La Reunion downplayed that prospect.

It would instead brush the coast of Mozambique to the west, they said, bringing heavy rainfall and strong winds to the Mozambican coastal city of Inhambane and the tourist resort of Tofo.

Officials in Inhambane called on those of the city’s 100,000 residents living in makeshift housing to evacuate to a safer place.

SOURCE: AFP AND AGENCIES



from The Times Of Earth https://ift.tt/an9Iyg1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Myanmar earthquake death toll rises as fresh tremors further complicate rescue efforts

Israel says situation on Lebanon border ‘not sustainable’